Thursday, March 6, 2014

Just the way you are

Mister Rogers' Neighborhood was a staple of my childhood as I'm sure it might have been for many of you. Somewhere at my parents' house there is a home video of me the morning of my first day of kindergarten. I think all firsts are a pretty big deal for the firstborn child. I remember watching the video many years later (probably stumbled upon the home videos while sorting through stuff). My mom is asking me if I'm ready for school, and if I'm excited for school. I answer her, but I'm pretty uninterested in helping her capture the memory. Mr. Rogers is telling stories in the background. I think she got the hint, she zooms out and I'm laying laying on my stomach with my hands holding my face while I soak up all that Mr. Rogers says.

Fred Rogers was certainly an extraordinary man who spread love and smiles everywhere he went. His reputation speaks for itself. I recently stumbled across a quote from the last episode of his series that spoke to me. He was saying goodbye, for now anyway - he always said he would be back at the end of each episode. It reminded me how special this show was to me, and how much love there is in the world. I hope it does the same for you.

"I'm just so proud of all of you who have grown up with us, and I know how tough it is some days to look with hope and confidence on the months and years ahead. But I would like to tell you what I often told you when you were much younger. I like you just the way you are."

Love,
Logan


1 comment:

  1. Logan, this is so sweet. I was a HUGE Mister Rogers fan. It might be way I have such an unhealthy obsession with cardigans.

    And for the record, I like YOU just the way you are.

    ReplyDelete